Malegaon Blast: Purohit, Pragya Charged with Terror Conspiracy

0
18

Malegaon Blast: Purohit, Pragya Charged with Terror Conspiracy

Pragya Thakur along with Lt Col Prasad Shrikant Purohit and five others were charged by the NIA court on Tuesday for terror conspiracy, murder, and other offenses on  2008 Malegaon blast case.

After framing of charges accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur has blamed Congress for the ‘conspiracy’. She said that she was earlier given a clean chit but has been charged now.

“Earlier, the NIA had given me a clean chit. Now, charges have been framed against me. This was a conspiracy by Congress but I am confident that I’ll come out innocent as the truth always wins,” Sadhvi Pragya Thakur said.

Besides Purohit, the other accused in the case are Pragya Singh Thakur, Major (retd) Ramesh Upadhyay, Sameer Kulkarni, Ajay Rahirkar, Sudhakar Dwivedi and Sudhakar Chaturvedi. All the accused were present in the court when the judge read out the charges against them and all seven of them pleaded not guilty of the charges. The next date of hearing in the case is November 2.

Purohit’s lawyer had earlier filed an application seeking an adjournment of the framing of charges against him.

The Bombay High Court on Monday, 29 October, had refused to grant relief Purohit who had challenged the NIA court’s order, rejecting his plea against the sanction for his prosecution under Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA).

Purohit then appeared before a special NIA court on Tuesday, 30 October, for the framing of charges against him under UAPA.

The special NIA court had last week rejected the pleas filed by Purohit and the other accused – Pragya Singh Thakur, Major Ramesh Upadhyay (retired), Sameer Kulkarni, Ajay Rahirkar, Sudhakar Dwivedi and Sudhakar Chaturvedi – challenging the validity of the anti-terror law in the case.

Six persons were killed and over a 100 injured when an explosive device strapped on a motorcycle went off near a mosque in Malegaon on September 29, 2008.

ALSO SEE: I&B minister Rathore condemns Naxal attack in Chattisgarh

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here